Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Winner: Marijuana

It's all about marijuana right now. All this was because I discovered a huge stash of pot in the garage. This after years and years of denial that he's smoking again. I just wanted honesty! If he's addicted and can't give it up, why not just tell me that? Why agree to stopping, promise me over and over again that he's not doing it, and then build a web of lies to cover it up?

The marijuana issue is PURE IDIOCY! If he had a sound justification for smoking it, then why not present it? Why not hash it out like 2 logical, intelligent adults?

Yes, I have a "policy." My disapproval of smoking pot is not on moral grounds. In fact, I see nothing immoral about smoking pot. I even find it less harmful to ones health as smoking cigarettes. I disapprove of it on legal grounds alone. Men and women in law enforcement risk their lives to uphold the law that makes marijuana illegal for distribution and recreational use.

I remember being in 8th grade and attending the funeral of my classmate's father. He was an officer of the LAPD and was shot to death by a man, who was trying to protect his stash of MJ from the law. Idiocy! He wasn't even a dealer. He had just purchased his supply for the month/week, and he had it behind a couple of magazines on a bookshelf. Because of domestic disturbance, my classmate's father answered the call and decided he needed to enter the residence to assess the situation. The man panicked at the thought of a cop in the house where the 3 dime bags of pot sitting on the book shelf and decided to just shoot at the officer.

My friend's father died in the hospital a few hours later. All over 3 dime bags. He was the youngest of 3 brothers and his father was the world to him. My heart ached for him and his family that day. I wept uncontrollably, just imagining some guy shooting my father just for doing his job. It haunts me to this day, that the marijuana did that to my friend. If marijuana was legal, then the man would not have had a second thought about letting a cop in the house. After all, dime bags on the book shelf would have been no bigger a deal than 3 bottles of Johnny Walker in the fridge? But, because of its legal status, the dime bags took on a power that caused a man to take a life. A precious life that is lost forever.

So how does one reconcile the recreational enjoyment of marijuana while it is illegal? How does one reconcile that behavior as a parent to ones impressionable children? How does one risk the reputation of themselves and their family in the community if it was ever discovered that one was engaged in criminal behavior? Shouldn't it give one pause?

Or is marijuana that good? Is it that important to have in one's life that all that simply does not matter?

Is marijuana worth the sacrifice of having an honest and intimate relationship with one's spouse? Am I automatically rendered insignificant simply because I'm on the "other side" of the debate over marijuana? Is marijuana more important than me to my husband?

The answer is YES. I'm nothing compared to this weed. I am but a footnote in the life and existence of my husband. Marijuana is the center of his universe and the one true love that he protects above all. This is a battle I have lost and a war that easily levels me.

Marijuana has won. I have lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment